Friday 22 March 2013

Contrasting, Beautiful Namibia


Another week has passed, and I’m still learning lots from Africa. So far, I have learnt enough Afrikaans to inform everyone that I don’t actually speak Afrikaans; I have learnt how to bake muffins in tin cans; and I have learnt most of the words to the national anthem (the title is a line from the middle). This proved to be especially useful, as Thursday was Namibian Independence Day. In a historically-accurate-ish nutshell, Namibia was a German colony that was then ruled by South Africa after the collapse of imperialism at the beginning of the 20th century. Namibia’s struggle for freedom lasted almost 30 years, but the country finally declared independent on 21st March 1990. There was no school on the day itself, as it’s a public holiday, so the occasion was enthusiastically marked by both the primary and secondary schools on Wednesday afternoon. At Nowak, the students gathered for a celebration with speeches, songs and dancing prepared by different classes; the secondary school also put on quite a show in the courtyard between the schools, involving Danza Kaduro and boys dancing in skirts. What this has to do with political and social liberty I have no idea, but it was great fun to watch and I think the pupils really enjoyed having an afternoon of fun.

Both the lower and upper primary school students gathered for the ceremony

A group from the secondary school perform a traditional dance. At least two of them are actually boys. Highly confusing.
 On Thursday morning, Jenita was helping to run a similar talent show for the hostel kids. The learners that board in the hostel are from all over Namibia, and since each of Namibia’s peoples have a very strong sense of cultural identity, it was fascinating to watch each of the different groups perform the songs and dances of their own cultures. Plus, it’s a kids’ talent show, and thus two things are inevitable: things will go wrong, and it will still be wonderfully endearing anyway.




I’ve had some other new things happen since I last posted. I had my first African cold: it was 38 degrees outside, and I found myself sniffling whilst wearing shorts and flip-flops. All very confusing.
I saw my first African snake. Fear not, Gran, it doesn’t really count and it wasn’t exactly a thrilling wildlife experience. This snake was dead, and one particularly mischievous Grade 6 was chasing the other children around the hostel with it. When we told him to stop terrorising them, he offered to bring the snake into class for us the next morning. No thanks, kiddo. Offer kindly refused.
I got mail! Having your post held in a box 80km away is a far cry from Royal Mail, and still seems very strange, but I had a lovely surprise last week when I found that I had a parcel of goodies from Oz. Our house is now 2 magazines, 3 vegetable peelers, a packet of post-its and a packet of sweets better off than last week – thanks Mum!
Some things, however, haven’t changed– the library is progressing (so close!), we have made contact with a potential partnership school in Yorkshire through the British Council, and most importantly, our classes are as much fun as ever. Having got our classes to draw portraits of their classmates, we are thoroughly looking forward to marking the masterpieces this weekend. I don’t know how many of you remember the days of primary school portraits, but they are most entertaining /bizarre/adorable.  Getting very excited about next weekend’s trip to Luderitz, and Project Trust coming to Tses – I’m sure there will be plenty of news to share next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment